Sunday, June 14, 2009

Seriously!?! Rant!

I'm at home watching the Seven Signs of the Apocalypse from the History Channel. I used to love these type of shows, they give scientific proof of all of the horrible things that could happen to us in this life should the Apocalypse come. There are 2 reasons this show is annoying me. First, they blame God for all of these horrible things. Second, they focus on the negatives. So I just want to go off a bit.........

I understand that of course they are going to portray all of these events as scary as they can be. It makes for better TV. It irritates me that these shows are out there. They seem like constructed evil, waiting to be planted it into people's head and if enough people fear it it will come about. They we all sit there and go, 'Oh my Josh, they said this was going to happen'.

They are basing all of this on Revelations in the Bible. I first read Revelations on New Years Eve 1999, I have to admit, it is a very scary possibility. That whole book is straight fear. It's the base of a thousand movies and books. We hold ourselves in fear of everything bad that could happen. We go see movies, watch TV shows and read books about how all of us are going to die, how the world is going to end and how we all will suffer. Think about that for a minute.....why????

Why are we obbessed with destroying ourselves? We are constantly finding out another way our world will end. Why do we never look at the fact that with all of these senarios that could end our lives, we still live. Why not look at the fact that we could be obliterated at anytime by Earthquakes, Volcano's, Tsunamis or other natural disasters and be thankful that we are here. Instead of planning how to handle one of these 'if this happens' situations why don't we put a greater focus on how far we have come. How lucky we are everyday that an asteroid didn't hit us and Our Sun didn't burn out. Why aren't we thankful for the blessings in life? Why do we as a people insist on focusing on possible impending doom?

I also wonder why we put all of the blame for everything on God? We say he is vengeful and will smite us. Why? The God I am part of is not a spiteful God. The God of creation is just that, God of creation.

I feel like Man has ruined God a bit. For instance most claim 'he' when they talk about God. That is so limiting, God is not a man, God is power, love and abundance God is not a 'he' God just is. I understand that God was given 'he' as an indenity, probably to make him more relatable to man, but God is not man. God is simple. God is everything and when you begin to realize that God is the power and force and connection that holds everything together then there is peace. When you stop looking at God like this old man up in the heavens getting pissed off at us for our improper behavior, and realize God does not hold form, then you can begin feel the presence of God within yourself. By making God like man we have limited God. GOd has been portrayed as he has because Man is better at accpeting what he knows. Man understands how he acts when he is hurt angry and people do not listen to him, that is why God is explained that way.

When I say God is simple I mean what I say. God is not complicated. God does not get his feelings hurt or get angry because people don't believe in him, God is not a him. God is a power, a force, God is life. God is the power and life that we all come from. It is that simple. God does not lack, Man lacks. Man lacks the understanding of the simplicity of God. We as Man over complicate everything, we put limits upon ourselves and our power. We put limits upon what we think God is and what we think God can do.

I admit I used to be one of those people who would watch these shows and be scared out of my mind. I watched these type of shows because I wanted to be 'prepared' for what may come. Now I see things differently. I don't see these shows as 'preparing' one for what may come, I see it more as a scare tactic. I fear that if everyone believes these things will come about we will actually create the scenarios unintentionally.

The good thing I have to say is at least these type of shows are starting to show a glimmer of hope that we do have the power to change our path. It's just sad that they only mention that glimmer of hope after 2 hours of negative information.

No comments:

Post a Comment