Sunday, May 3, 2009

Waiting to See

I love that Lyric. Waiting to see what I might be, if released from chains that bind me from within. That line speaks to my soul.

I have spent years not seeing who I am. Every time I looked in the mirror I have seen every negative thought I could think about myself. I have seen ugliness, defeat and failure in the mirror. In this new 'being kind' to myself behavior I have begun to remove the layers of negativity. I have begun to see myself :)

I have been reading Eckhart Tolle, all of this titles, he talks a lot about The Power of Now. Here's how I understand it: When you spend your time being in the moment instead of judging it you can make the most of that moment. I have spent countless years over thinking every single move I make. I think about what my reaction will bring, and then what this person will say and do, and how I will react back. All of that thinking of this situations and it's possible negative outcome has left me paralysed. Instead of living my life and having actual experiences I have imagined my life, it's situations and my happiness or demise.

One wonderful example I have for this is my weight. I have been overweight since High School. After having kids it got worse. I have spent 15 years being unhappy with my body. I have committed to try and lose weight more times than I can count. I have yet to lose anything. I have weighed the same thing since I was 19 years old.

My weight has been 2 things for me. First, it has been my safety. No one can see the real me, not when I'm hiding under 50lbs of fat. I use my weight hide. I always talk about losing weight. I always say things like 'When I get thin I'm going to be so hot!' or 'You have no idea how pretty I am under all this weight'. The normal comments of a person who knows they have potential but who would rather talk about their potential instead of putting forth the effort to show it.

I start new workout regimens and diets all the time, only to fall off within a week of starting. I lose 2 lbs one week and gain 6 the next. The question I ask myself today is why? Why am I constantly holding myself in a pattern that I know does not benefit me?

The answer is I'm afraid. I'm afraid of the unknown. I have no idea what I would look like at my correct weight. I have no idea what my life would be like if I didn't have this constant handicap . I don't wear the clothes I want to wear, I don't talk to the people I want to talk to, I don't do the things I want to do all because I am afraid of the unknown. In my imagination I see this very confidant woman who dresses nicely all the time. She is always wearing something beautiful and feminine. She is funny and smart and confident and I can see happiness shining through her. She a woman who helps others and inspires others to be their best. She teaches them to get out of their heads and to become present and live life. I know this woman is inside of me. Now my question to myself is how do I bring her out?

2 comments:

  1. Aw c'mon, I think your beautiful Micah! Don't beat yourself up over something as petty as that. And to "get deep", maybe your using your weight as a shield to block whatever it is that your really "hiding" from. After all, it is easy to blame ones problems on something, even if that is not really the source.

    ReplyDelete